New Balance Men's M992 Running Shoe


New Balance Men's M992 Running Shoe
This classic sneaker from New Balance is the perfect balance of old-school style and easy, athletic comfort. Made for runners and non-runners alike, it features a whole roster of technical features to give you a comfortable, stable, and long-lasting stride.

Customer Review: A good running shoe

I am very satisfied with these shoes and will probably buy another pair, but take that with a grain of salt, as I may not be the pickiest runner.

My first attempt at running for any distance at all was in a pair of new black leather Army boots, so you can understand why after 13 weeks of basic training I was ecstatic at being issued a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Lo Top Black to run in. Then, in 1982, I found something at the mall called a "running shoe", made by a company called New Balance. I could not believe the experience: like running on marshmellows for five miles each morning. Can you blame me for keeping them for 16 years?

Alas, eventually even thread, string and duct tape wouldn't keep my beloved NBs together, so about ten years ago I bought a new pair of New Balanceยฎ 550 Cross Trainer, only to discover that after only 6 six years they had to be replaced.
Well, ok -- if thats the way its gonna be, I might as well shop around, right?
I first bought a pair of Z-coils, which held up well but felt as is I were running on stilts. Then I bought a pair of ASICS Gel Enduro 3 Trail Running Shoe Mens and promptly gave myself a case of shin splints that took a full year to heal (how was I to know they were for trail running? You mean people run on TRAILS?)

Two years ago I bought a pair of NB 992s and though they have not only protected me from shin splints and twisted ankles (I'm REALLY good at getting those) they seem to "hit" harder now than when they were new. Its not like they are falling apart or anything, but even with gel inserts I can tell its time to buy a new pair. I will either get a new pair of 992s or a pair of Mens New Balance 908 Trail Running Shoe, which are supposed to be good for both the street and for trails (yes, I eventually used those Asics on an actual trail and they worked so well I wore them out completely, they are totally falling apart.)
So, would I compare the new 992s to my first pair of NB? In truth they are almost certainly better shoes, but the leap from Converse low tops to NB was such a jump forward that its hard to match. The bottom line? I've never gone wrong with New Balance and the 992 is no exception. Firm, no twisted ankles (even though I seldom run on the street any more), no shin splints, and no bad knees either. Worth the price and made right here in the US, too.



No comments: